The Annotated Ontario Mental Health Statutes, 4th ed. is an up-to-date, centralized source of legislation and analysis in the area of mental health for Ontario. Consolidated versions of the following legislation and related forms are included:
- Mental Health Act and regulations
- Health Care Consent Act and regulations including discussion of Community Treatment Orders**
- Substitute Decisions Act and regulations
- Mental Hospitals Act and regulations
- Public Hospitals Act and regulations
- Freedom of Information Act
- Personal Health Information Protection Act and regulations**
** new since last edition
The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the relevant sections of the Criminal Code are also included. This edition contains the major revisions to the mental health provisions in Part XX.1 of the Criminal Code, which formed part of Bill C-10, proclaimed in force in 2005. Also new in this edition is the Crown Practice Memorandum on the Diversion of Mentally Disordered Accused. For the first time, a table of cases has been provided.
Annotations cover case law from Ontario as well as other jurisdictions for the period up to November 2006. Case law annotations range in length from a few sentences to the full text of the judgment. Commentaries are practical and to the point.
The format is easy to use and places the updated case law annotations and commentary adjacent to the legislative provisions to which they relate, following the logical organization of the statutes.